Name of the association: RAIN ( Reading Association in the Netherlands)
Affiliate No. N1A00
Year Chartered: 1990
President & Contactperson
Adriaanstraat 7, 3581 SB Utrecht. The Netherlands
mobile: +31 6 48774889; skype: jeroencl
RAIN was chartered as a national affiliate of IRA in 1990. RAIN published a series of 9 volumes on reading and reading education and organized several national conferences on literacy matters.
NEWS. Recently we got in contact with the Foundation Stichting Lezen en Schrijven, an initiative of H.R.H. Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands. We’re discussing collaboration.
Our goals are:
- Assist teachers in their process of becoming more outstanding literacy teachers
- Work as a active intermediate between IRA / IDEC and the professional bodies concerning research and practice from different disciplines
- Participate and encourage participation in international projects
- Working on the new challenges of online reading and digital literacy
- Coach and teach members of IDEC in using new technology in knowledge sharing and collaboration between the members of IDEC
RAIN in this stage is focused on reading comprehension online and offline and works on:
- Empowering teachers to work on reading comprehension
- To implement reading teaching in all the content areas
- Getting teachers understand the new literacies in the new era we’re in
- Research in the field of digital literacy
To get professional new partnerships with other organizations in the Netherlands to be more efficient in dealing with all goals on improving literacy and to improve the communication with our audiences.