The International Development of European Committee, IDEC meets twice a year. National reading/literacy associations in Europe affiliated to the International Reading Association are entitled to nominate a representative to the IDEC. These representatives come together twice a year for business meetings. The IDEC Chairperson is elected by the IDEC members and usually holds office for two or three years.
Groups in those European countries, which have not formally established national reading associations are invited to send observers to the meetings. Thus invitations go out to some 40 representatives, 30 members and 10 guests, for each meeting.
The agenda includes reporting and planning of activities aiming at strengthening the network, the charges, special projects and reports by the national affiliates. The minutes of IDEC meetings are recorded in some detail to make it possible for absent members, IRA Board members and Officers, and all national associations in Europe to be informed of the IDEC’s work. Although the working language of the IDEC is English, most members speak several languages, which means that there is always someone who can translate.
The IDEC business meetings are held in different parts of the continent. The hosting association may arrange a professional Seminar before or after the meeting. Such seminars are often arranged to promote the area of special interest for the hosting association. IDEC members offer their expertise by taking part as speakers.
These seminars, which are first most for the benefit of the local educators and members, are arranged primarily by the host association (in co-operation with IDEC). The Local host is in charge of the Program and the Invitations to the seminar.
Some examples of past seminars:
- In 2010 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Skopje, Macedonia a seminar was arranged on the topic “Crossing the Bridges of Literacy” , by the Reading Association of Macedonia, MaRA, at FON University, Skopje.
- In 2007 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Dublin, Ireland a seminar was arranged on the topic “Learning a Second Language and Teacher Education in Reading/Literacy”, by the Reading Association of Ireland, RAI, at St Patrick’s College, Drumcondra.
- In 2006 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Sofia, Bulgaria a seminar was arranged on the topic “Promoting Reading in Linguistically and Ethnically Diverse Communities”, by the Bulgarian Reading Association, BulRA, at the Sofia University.
- In 2005 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Faro, Portugal a two-day seminar, one day in Portuguese and one day in English, was arranged on the topic “Literacy research and practices”, by the Portugese Reading Association, Littera, at Universidade do Algarve.
- In 2004 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Linköping, Sweden a seminar was arranged on the topic “Schools Where Literacy Thrives” by the Swedish Reading Association, SCIRA, at the Department of Behavioural Sciences, Linköping University, Campus Valla