The International Development in European Committee, IDEC, was established in 1979 with a focus on reading and literacy. National reading/literacy associations in Europe affiliated to the International Reading Association were entitled to nominate a representative to the IDEC. These representatives then came together twice a year for meetings. Specifically, groups in those European countries, which had not formally established national reading associations were invited to send observers to the meetings. Thus, invitations went out to some 40 representatives, 30 members and 10 guests, for each meeting.
At first these seminars, which were mostly for the benefit of the local educators and members, were arranged primarily by a host association (in co-operation with IDEC). The Local host oversaw the programme and the invitations to the seminar.
The Federation of European Literacy Associations (FELA) was set up in 2008 and was first registered in Belgium. The members of FELA were all national reading / literacy associations. In 2018, FELA and IDEC merged in a common purpose to support best practice in literacy teaching, learning and research.
Some examples of past seminars:
- Winter 2017 IDEC and FELA meeting in conjunction with the conference ‘Literacy in the Digital Age’ in Vilnius 20–22 January.
- Winter 2016 January 22-23 Amsterdam Netherlands. IDEC and FELA meetings in conjunction with the ELINET final conference in Amsterdam 20–22 January.
- Summer 2016 August 13-14 Turku, Finland. IDEC and FELA meeting was held in Turku, Finland in conjunction with the 3rd Baltic Sea – 17th Nordic Literacy Conference
- In 2014 in conjunction with the IDEC / FELA meeting in Brighton, UK, a half day seminar was organized on the EU Elinet project.
- In 2010 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Skopje, Macedonia a seminar was arranged on the topic “Crossing the Bridges of Literacy” , by the Reading Association of Macedonia, MaRA, at FON University, Skopje.
- In 2007 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Dublin, Ireland a seminar was arranged on the topic “Learning a Second Language and Teacher Education in Reading/Literacy”, by the Reading Association of Ireland, RAI, at St Patrick’s College, Drumcondra.
- In 2006 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Sofia, Bulgaria a seminar was arranged on the topic “Promoting Reading in Linguistically and Ethnically Diverse Communities”, by the Bulgarian Reading Association, BulRA, at the Sofia University.
- In 2005 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Faro, Portugal a two-day seminar, one day in Portuguese and one day in English, was arranged on the topic “Literacy research and practices”, by the Portugese Reading Association, Littera, at Universidade do Algarve.
- In 2004 in conjunction with the IDEC meeting in Linköping, Sweden a seminar was arranged on the topic “Schools Where Literacy Thrives” by the Swedish Reading Association, SCIRA, at the Department of Behavioural Sciences, Linköping University, Campus Valla
A European Conference on Literacy is held every two years. The European Conferences on Literacy are jointly organized by FELA and the local national association’s organising committee. Although the main Conference language is English, a speaker may present a paper in any European language. There are normally, therefore, sessions in German, Spanish, and French, as well as in English. The Highly appreciated Conferences are a show case of the professional activities of the European network.
European Conferences on Reading/Literacy
(in national languages of the host country )