FELA, the Federation of European Literacy Associations, welcomes applications for Full and Associate Membership.
See list of members and links to details at the end of this page.
Membership of FELA is open to any organisation which is concerned with or interested in literacy and has legal personality and legal capacity and whose objectives are compatible with those of the Federation – our objectives can be seen in our Articles of Association here. The main target group of the Federation is Europe-based organisations, but relevant organisations beyond Europe may join.
Full membership is open to national literacy/reading associations in or near Europe which have legal personality and legal capacity.
Associate membership is open, but not restricted, to the following categories of organisation which have legal personality and legal capacity:
- Ministries and governmental agencies (GOV)
- Regional educational authorities and agencies (REG)
- Research institutions and universities (RES)
- Relevant NGOs (NGO)
- International institutes and agencies (INT)
- European and national networks (NET)
- Relevant international associations and networks (INET) and relevant organisations outside Europe (NE)
Membership is institutional, not individual.
Organisations apply for membership in writing. The application procedure is simple, and can be seen here.
Since 1979 the national reading associations in Europe, which are affiliated to the International Reading Association have acted together as IDEC. These Associations cover the continent from Finland to Portugal, from Iceland to Greece. In 2008 these associations formed FELA.
The pages of FELA’s current member associations can be reached via the name of the country below. Each member Association is responsible for the information linked to this page.
- Compiled member association reports January 2019.
- The latest compiled member association reports: January/February 2020.
- Austria Österreich
- Belgium België/ Belgique /Belgien (BelFRA)
- Belgium België/ Belgique /Belgien (FlaRA)
- Bulgaria България
- Croatia Hrvatska
- Czech Republic Česká republika
- Denmark Danmark
- Estonia Eesti
- Finland Suomi / Finland / Suopma
- Germany Deutschland
- Greece Ελλάδα
- Hungary Magyarország
- Iceland Lýðveldið
- Ireland Éire
- Israel מדינת ישראל
- Italy Italia
- Latvia Latvija
- Lithuania Lietuva
- North Macedonia Република Северна Македонија
- Netherlands Nederland
- Poland Polska
- Portugal República Portuguesa
- Romania România
- Russia Росси́я
- Slovak Republic Slovensko
- Slovenia Slovenija (SloRA)
- Slovenia Slovenija (SloRB)
- Switzerland Svizzera / Schweiz / Suisse
- Spain España
- Sweden Sverige
- United Kingdom